Saturday 3 November 2007

Doesn't time fly. We have now been in our house two years and I just love living in the country. This stunning view of the trees across the fields caught my eye as I was out walking the dog the other day. Just a couple of the tops were bright red and really stood out against the others.





I don't know what this tree is called but the sun was shining through the leaves.

Daughter and I did get round to putting out a pumpkin for Halloween.

And we made some delicious Pumpkin soup but that got eaten before I could take a photo!

Once again I haven't had time to do any stitching, but I did venture into the tiny cemetery in the village, about 200 yards from the Church. Its on the main route into the village. When there is a funeral the whole village stops because the funeral party walks from the church to the cemetery and then stands in the narrow road by the entrance whilst prayers are said. If you are driving up the road at the time, the done thing is to stop (obviously), get out of the car and then stand there quietly too.

I have been intrigued by the work on the gravestones, the range of motifs from anchors, to flowers, crosses and my favourite one so far: a man's hand holding a lady's - how romantic.
I tried to move the ivy aside but it was well and truly attached. I intend to go back and look more closely for the names and dates but I vaguely remember that this is one where they have worn off.
My friend P gave me some gorgeous photos she had taken in Chagford, Devon, of a Celtic cross. Hubs was away the another night and I sat up in bed drawing and exploring the shapes in my sketchbook.


I have decided that my personal challenge is to explore how to take my drawings into stitch. Actually not just to explore, but really do it! This is where I struggle. I stay within the comfort zone of my sketch book and kid myself that its lack of time that stops me taking it further.

Off to give the dog her tranquillisers. There will be a lot of fireworks around and she hates them. One year, she tried to dig her way into the bathroom (no idea why the bathroom) and tore her pads on the carpet gripper.


She will be 13 next week. Can't walk very far now but is still great company.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The ivy growing over the hands is interesting in itself..

Have you tried 'drawing' with your machine to recreate the celtic knot. Have ago !!! Don't lift the needle until you have finished ... now there is a challenge =)