Friday 5 October 2007

Experimenting with rust dyeing

I have had great success recently with rust dyeing using wire wool.















From left to right, the fabrics are butter muslin, cotton, silk and heavyweight calico. These were left for about 48 hours. Some gorgeous marks. Not sure if I can bring myself to stitch on them.

These were two fabrics I had dyed with Procion dyes previously.















The orange fabric, I only left for 24 hours with the wire wool as I couldn't wait any longer. The marks are somewhat paler as a result. Using the same wire wool throughout, I then tried it with brown fabric not really expecting any marks to show up at all and was quite amazed with the results. The brown fabric was an awful shade previously and now it looks quite amazing.

The wire wool has now truly disintegrated and can not be used again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow those look great .. the last one in the brown fabric has come out and looks brill !

Now what are your plans for them!??

Gina said...

Amazing results Lesley! Love the way it has worked on the coloured fabrics.

crafty pam said...

Do you just use water with the wire wool. Have never tried this and looking at your amazing results even more encouraged to try.

Liz Plummer said...

Great rust dyeing - I've not tried it on coloured fabrics. And I love your sketchbooks.