Wednesday 10 October 2007

On Friday, I had a wonderful evening at the local branch of the Embroiderers' Guild. There were four activities for us to have a go at. I managed three.

On the first table Lynne took us through making the Christmas decoration on the left. We were provided with everything, even the tassels.


Secondly, Sandie took us through some ideas to use for cards:- weaving fabric, crazy patchwork and much much more. Can't wait to have a go and use those card with precut windows that I have lurking in the cupboard.

Tricia then started us off on the wonderful Christmas tree on the right. Both decorations I finished at home, and it was great to have a bit of handstitching to do.

I took part in an ATC swap too and received this amazing card which was made from paper folding. Thanks Jo.


It was a fantastic evening and I came away buzzing with creative ideas. Many thanks to everyone involved.

Last week I braved the builders again and sketched part of the church. Its very old, with some parts of it going back to 1120.
This is one of the motifs on the gravestones in the churchyard. "In Memory of Mary Weatherhead"

I also came across five gravestones all in a row with skull and crossbones on them. They looked exceedingly creepy. I wonder if it means anything in particular. Anyone any ideas? Blogger wouldn't let me add this photo.
Using the outline of the Church as a motif I played with the shape in my sketchbook, and added ideas for turning it into a textile. I am pleased to say I have even used one of the ideas and created an ATC.
Last but not least, a picture of this morning's washing! More rust dyeing. Hate the green, it really isn't my colour, but the fabric looks very much like the lichen I have been seeing on the gravestones. Unfortunately, I can't make the Knitting and Stitch Show which starts at Ally Pally tomorrow. Look forward to hearing about it from everyone.







2 comments:

Gina said...

So busy again Lesley! Some lovely handstitching.

Tejae: Heart Shaped Art said...

I love them both. I know you don't like the green one but it is very appealing to me. :) great job!