Wednesday 22 August 2007

Walking and felting

Had a great day to day. It started off with an early, long walk around the country lanes. I was quite shocked to see that some of the ferns in the hedgerows were already turning gold and russet, a sure sign autumn is on its way, even though it is only August. I have only been living in the country for about 18 months, and I still marvel everyday at the beauty of my surroundings.

I collected my first horse chestnut of the year, and picked a load of sloes too just because they looked such a wonderful colour. I also picked lots of blackberries in the field at the back of our house. Some unfortunately are going mouldy from the recent rain but I still managed to collect enough to take to a friend this afternoon. They made a stunning display in the kitchen.





The elderberries look stunning at the moment too in the hedgerows. My mum used to make wonderful elderberry wine, and I wish I could find a recipe for them other than jam or wine – a pie would be nice.


This afternoon I spent with a friend making felt. In Liverpool recently, I saw a felt bag that I thought was gorgeous, and “A” said she would teach me/help me to make the felt for it. When I got to her house she had already done lots of preparation including laying out the first few layers of wool. Prior to that she had also researched different types of wool which would be suitable and had even carded some so that it was really, really soft.

I was so grateful to her for all of that preparation; I hadn’t realised just how much physical energy felt making takes. The final piece was 28 x 17 inches. The edges are crinkly and absolutely gorgeous.



The photo doesn't really show the gorgeous texture of the felt.
Now, home again, I have changed my original design so that I can use these wonderful edges, and have managed to get two bags out of it. Can't wait to make them up, and to use them.

1 comment:

Gina said...

The felt looks gorgeous Lesley. Like you I love finding fruit in the hedgerows... I've got my eye on some damsons that are just about ripe!