Tuesday 28 August 2007

Back to the drawing board, or should I say sewing machine:

My attempt to recreate a vessel inspired by Janet Edmunds book Three Dimensional Embroidery has failed miserably.

It was so much harder than I imagined. It wasn’t helped by the fact that by the time I had stitched pieces of fabric onto a calico backing, the resultant cloth was incredibly difficult to gather up and stitch through. Also, I realised that I needed a much bigger piece of fabric than I had started with.





Having taken out all the gathering stitches, there are some nice ripples in the fabric still,
which I might do something with, but not sure what yet. It is probably one of those pieces that will stay hanging around for a while until inspiration strikes again.


Didn't do any stitching over the Bank Holiday weekend. Quite a relaxing weekend with a few walks across the fields. We were delighted to see a new addition in the field around the corner.


He is absolutely gorgeous and although he went and hid behind his mum first, he then decided we were Okay and came up to the fence and allowed us to stroke his nose.

Discovered too, reading Gina Ferrari’s blog (http://ginaferrari.blogspot.com/), that the fruit I had been picking in the hedgerows thinking they were very large sloes, are very likely damsons. Thanks Gina, but apologies to P – that sloe gin you made…. you need to rename it!

3 comments:

Gina said...

Damson gin is equally as good if not better than sloe gin! My next batch of damsons are headed for the gin jar!

Hang on to all that pieced cloth Lesley... it will come in handy!

Stephanie M said...

But those ripples remind me of some I created using 'kantha' type running stitch - may be that's the way to go with a brightly coloured thread ....

English Rose said...

they could be damsons, or if they are a little smaller, they could be bullaces. either way, they make a fantastic gin drink just like sloes.